Monday, June 17, 2013

Ireland Adventures Part I

We arrived in Shannon at 7AM jet lagged, hungry  and all set to drive on the left side. Oh crap, we forgot our portable defibrillator. Thanks to Craig we drove without mishap.

Within one hour of arrival, my obsession with stones begins. Ireland has 240,000 kilometers of dry stone walls. Plenty of source material for me to chew on.

 Rather alarming road sign we found at 10AM our first day.
Our first destination: the Cliffs of Moher. Enough beauty to break your heart into a thousand pieces.


Amazing landscape architecture for the Cliffs of Moher visitor center. The use of local stones made sure the built environment totally blended in with the cliffs. (I'm exercising remarkable restraint in not showing you all 50 rock photos.....)


We traveled 6000 miles to hear......American musicians in Galway?



The River Corrib runs through Galway and has many diversions created to power various manufacturing during the industrial revolution. We passed men fishing in several spots throughout the town.

Will post part II later this week.

3 comments:

laura said...

Always wanted to go to Ireland, and esp. the west coast (and the Isle of Skye, Scotland ... so far, no luck. (Though someday I really will chuck it all and go, and not come back, I think.)
So I'll be especially grateful to follow your travels!
The sign is priceless!

Lindsay said...

Laura, you will love it! I was thinking today how powerful it was to travel around in a land with such a rich and long history.

Jeanette Jobson said...

I lived in Ireland for about a year and love the memories your travels are providing.